Disability professionals’ play an important role in planning for, and supporting people with intellectual disability when they go to hospital in a planned or unplanned (emergency) way. Good communication between the person, their family / guardian, medical / hospital staff, disability professional is essential and can make a significant difference to the person’s health outcomes, their hospital experience and their quality of life.
The Admission2Discharge (A2D) Together Folder is designed to assist disability and health professionals work together with a shared understanding of the person’s specific individual/ health needs.
The key to a successful hospital experience for the person is to be prepared for ALL hospital admissions before they happen. This can be achieved when the disability professional has a clear understanding of the many obstacles and challenges that people with intellectual disability experience in NSW hospitals, is provided with relevant “going to hospital” training and ensures that the person with intellectual disability has a current A2D Together Folder and, it is ready to go to hospital with the person at any time.
Benefits of the A2D Together Folder;
- Easy access to the person’s medication and medical information
- Important information to keep the person safe in the hospital setting
- Person’s specific communication needs, unique signs and behaviours
- Strategies to support the person if they become distressed
- Contact details for the person responsible/ Guardian/support staff
- Access to additional support plans necessary to maintain person’s health and wellbeing during their hospital stay
- Make it easier for health professional to do their job
- Improve the hospital journey for person