The A2D Together Folder for Carers
A hospital admission can be an extremely stressful time for everyone involved including the patient, carer and family. Carers tell us they often have to repeat their story to staff and feel that they need to stay with the person they care for the all the time they are an inpatient.
The A2D Together Folder is a tool to help carers and families share their knowledge and include recent medical details of the person they care for with all staff involved in providing health care.
The overall aim of the A2D Together Folder is to ensure that when the person goes to hospital their needs are met and their hospital journey, from their “Admission2Discharge” is a seamless as possible.
The purpose of the Admission2Discharge Together Folder is to provide information that:
- Is current
- Is person/patient-centred
- Is relevant to being in hospital
- Is easily accessible including contact details for medical consent, (person responsible) if the person you care for is unable to give consent
- Identifies the support requirements needs of the person you care for and highlights anything that may have a negative impact on their wellbeing while an inpatient
- Identifies any behaviours (and/or triggers) that might put other people (staff/visitors/patients) at risk of harm during the hospital stay
A user’s perspective
Listen to Anne Funke, NSW Carer of the Year 2014, talk about how the A2D Together Folder has made life with her son Mitchell (who has Angelman Syndrome) a lot easier when visiting hospital.
“I feel more relaxed knowing that if I am not by Mitchell’s side, nursing staff and doctors will understand his specific needs.”
“All his information is in one central spot.”
“Having the A2D Together Folder means that the journey for us, for him and for the staff is a lot smoother.”